I found this article
highly interesting. Particularly this chart:
A couple patterns that I noticed:
1. Republican shows tend to be the highest rated shows, while Democrat shows tend to be critical darlings.
2. All of the Democrat shows that I'm familiar with are about narcissists. That's not a bad thing. Narcissists can easily be compelling or hilarious, which makes for good TV. I think 30 Rock, Dexter, and Friday Night Lights are excellent. But it's an interesting pattern. The only narcissist shows I notice on the Republican side are Glenn Beck, Desperate Housewives, and The Bachelor. (There are several shows I'm not familiar enough with to know if they're about narcissists: Brothers & Sisters, Community, Law & Order SVU, Parks & Recreation, and Breaking Bad on the Democrat side, and Modern Family, The Mentalist, NCIS, and Lie to Me on the Republican side. Those of you who watch those shows can weigh in.)
3. Republican like competition-based reality shows, such as Amazing Race, American Idol, Survivor, Dancing With the Stars, and The Bachelor. On the other hand, for some reason Democrats like Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami.
4. Republican like multi-camera sit-coms and Democrats like single camera sit-coms.
5. I regularly watch four Republican shows (Amazing Race, Big Bang Theory, Survivor, and How I Met Your Mother.) I regularly watch one Democrat show (30 Rock.) But I also have previously enjoyed or plan to watch 4.5 more Democrat shows (Dexter, Community, Friday Night Lights, Breaking Bad, and possibly Mad Men.)
Anyone else notice interesting patterns in this?